Friday, April 8, 2011

They can actually be Fun!!

A Month Before:

Cryptic Crosswords!!! I swear,they are the worst kinds of puzzles that man has ever come up with!! I mean some of the clues don't even make sense!! Have a look at this clue in a puzzle: 

The llama went back to the shopping complex(1,4)

The moment I see this, the immediate thoughts that run though my mind were:
what?? who cares if the llama went to the shopping complex! does the English dictionary actually have a word for this? Oh, my God!! 

Little did I know that this sentence actually made sense to millions of crossword fans! That they would actually appreciate it! What more?? This one is probably the easiest thing that they would ever come across in their life!

Now:

Then I realized, the only thing making it look ridiculous was that I din't know how to solve them!! 
Cryptic Crosswords are in fact the 'Awsomest' puzzles on earth!! They require the utmost concentration and analytical skills!! Once you start to know the intricacies of the game, Your appreciation for it multiplies!!

So let us look at what the llama is actually trying to do:

The llama went back to the shopping complex(1,4)

In any crossword puzzle there are two major things that you look for(in most cases):
  1. An indicator 
  2. The actual meaning of the word
An Indicator is something that tells you the kind of word play that has been used in the clue.It could be an anagram, a reversal or any of the other generally used plays.

So, in the above example, the indicator is' went back'. This indicates that it is a reversal. Words like 'went back','reverse' etc indicate this kind of word play. So now once I know this, all I have to do now is to identify where the word play is.  Here when we reverse 'llama' we have 'amall' or 'A mall' as per the numbers given in the bracket. 'A mall' means nothing but a shopping complex!! Isn't this great??
And trust me, this is the easiest clue that anyone can solve!! For the actual difficult ones I have to put my thinking cap on and sit for hours (though in most case I only end up reading the solutions).

So, from the bottom of my heart I say this- "Cryptic Crosswords can  actually be fun"

No comments:

Post a Comment